The Authority has embarked on the development of its Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) policy. CSR is an organization’s commitment to manage the social, environmental and economic effects of its operations responsibly and in line with public and stakeholder expectations. CSR is strongly connected with the principles of sustainability. The Authority commits to make decisions based not only on financial or operational factors, but also on the social and environmental consequences.
The policy will be a self-regulatory mechanism through which we shall carry out our operations as guided by law, ethical standards and international norms. Additionally, we intend to continue embracing responsibility for our corporate actions and to encourage a positive impact on the environment and our stakeholders.
Therefore, it is the core Corporate Responsibility of National Water Harvesting & Storage Authority (NWHSA) to practice its corporate values through its commitment to grow in a socially and environmentally responsible way, while meeting the interests of interests of its stakeholders and the public.
The Acting Chief Executive Officer CS. Sharon Obonyo has welcomed the fast tracking of the policy saying she is eager to have the policy finalized and implemented soonest so as to guide the Authority’s CSR activities. The CEO added that the policy will align the Authority’s operations and activities with the expectations of its stakeholders so as to attain economic, environmental as well as social imperatives.
“Through Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), we aim to enhance our relationship with stakeholders, good corporate governance, build and keep public trust between the Authority and our stakeholders through solid working connections with both existing and new stakeholders." CS. Obonyo.
Below are the objectives of the CSR policy:
- To align the CSR activities with the Authority’s strategic goals, objectives and values in an effort to make a positive difference in the society.
- To foster successful interaction with governments, communities and other stakeholders.
- To contribute to charitable causes related to the Authority’s mandate and seek to participate in ways that touch people's lives in these communities.
- We recognize that we must integrate our core values and operations to meet the expectations of our stakeholders and the environment.
- We recognize that our social, economic and environmental responsibilities to these stakeholders are integral to our operations.
- We aim to demonstrate these responsibilities through our actions and within our corporate policies.
- We take seriously all feedback that we receive from our stakeholders and, where possible, maintain open dialogue to ensure that we fulfill the requirements outlined within this policy.
- Creating an awareness of how our activities have a local impact.
- Environment - ensure afforestation programs such as tree planting through raising a culture of environmental consciousness in communities surrounding our projects.
- We shall strive to improve our environmental performance through implementation of Sustainable Development and Environmental policies.
- We shall encourage dialogue with local communities for mutual benefit.
- We shall provide, and strive to maintain, a clean, healthy and safe working environment.
- We shall uphold the values of honesty, partnership and fairness in our relationships with stakeholders.
We will engage and participate in CSR activities that are related to our mandate and environmental conservation. One of these activities is tree planting. The Presidential Directive Circular Ref. No. OP/CAB/26/1.3A dated 4th June, 2018 directs inclusion of tree planting in CSR activities of all government agencies.
We shall restrict our CSR activities to our project areas because these will be our area of operation. Further, all CSR activities shall be approved by management before they are implemented while considering availability of budget. Most importantly, CSR projects or donations such as water storage tanks shall be properly branded as per the Authority’s brand manual specifications. The CSR policy already in place and has been given to staff and the board members for their input after which the final policy will be approved by the Board for implementation.